Monday, June 19, 2006

CHRIS

Hey! That strapping young fellow in the picture is me – Chris! Welcome to my profile on India Trekkers blog!

Our friend/guide/fellow conspirator Sarju thought it would be a good idea to put our profiles up in this type of forum both to keep friends and family updated on what we’re doing, and to keep in touch with each other. So keep reading to find out more about me and why/how I came to be part of this trip.

I’m a recent University of Ottawa grad – major Environmental Studies, minor Communication – loving living life outside of school and looking for new life experiences. I feel like I’ve passed a major stage in my life, and am now transitioning into the next. What this next stage is I’m not entirely sure of yet, however, I know that it’s going to be a good one.

Part of moving on to this next stage has involved a lot of soul searching recently. Who am I? What do I want to do in this life? How can I give back to my community? How can I be the me that I want others to see? These are the questions I’ve been posing myself lately. And it’s all part of this stage. The path isn’t clear anymore. There’s no “next semester”. There’s no paper to hand in or project to work on. There’s just life, and the choices I have to make - .

I’ve got a decent job, though I can’t stand my boss. I’m working with the Environment Directorate of Indian and Northern Affairs. As an organization, we manage environmental issues on Reserve, and provide environmental guidance and expertise for the protection of First Nations and Inuit health and safety on Reserve. But this isn’t my calling. It’s interesting, and the First Nations perspective has taught me things about life I would have only guessed at. But this position itself is limiting in the sense that it’s too focused and too top level. I would like to see the impact of my daily activities if possible, and this job won’t provide me with that.

So, India. Where does that come in? Well, I’ve always wanted to travel. And I’ve always wanted to go to India. And when Sarju asked me if I was interested in going with him, I couldn’t refuse.

I’m hoping India is going to give me a greater perspective on this life and help me with some of these questions I have. I want to see life as it’s lived outside our little bubble here in North AmericaCanada especially. After this I’m hoping I’ll have a little bit better of an idea of how to be the me that I’m supposed to be, and in doing so helping out others do the same.

No comments: